How to Mount a TV Over a Fireplace
Mounting your TV above your fireplace can be a great final touch when it comes to creating a space that is ideal for relaxing. Sitting back in the evening with the fireplace glowing and your favorite movie on is a great way to relax after a long day. With this said, there are some key things that you need to understand about the process.
Types of Fireplaces and Their Clearances
Deciding whether or not you should mount your TV over your home’s fireplace depends on several key factors. The type of fireplace that you have in your home is chief among these factors. The three most common types of fireplaces that most homeowners have include:
Given the fact that each home and fireplace have been constructed differently, what worked for your neighbor might not work for you when it comes to mounting a TV. It is best practice to always consult with an electrician as well as trained fireplace professionals prior to going forward with your plans to mount your TV over your fireplace. Not doing this could end up leading to your TV getting damaged and it can also create a situation that is hazardous to everyone in your home.
A Look at Clearances for the Common Fireplace Types
Understanding your fireplace’s clearance is essential when it comes to mounting a TV over it. This refers to the minimum amount of distance that you can safely hang your TV above a fireplace. This clearance will depend on the type of fireplace that you have.
- Electric Fireplaces – Electric fireplaces tend to be the easiest to deal with when it comes to mounting a TV above them. This is because they are generally designed for low levels of heat output.
- Gas Fireplaces – It is crucial to know whether you have a vented or ventless gas fireplace if you are going to mount a TV above it. If you are going to mount your TV over a gas fireplace, you will want to do it over the vented variety. This is because these models allow heat to escape through your chimney rather than radiating back into your home where it can affect your TV.
- Wood-Burning Fireplaces – It is important to take extra precautions if you are going to mount your TV over a wood-burning fireplace. This is because these models tend to get very hot while they are burning. On a positive note, wood-burning fireplaces are designed so that most of the heat ends up escaping up the chimney. It is still vital to ensure that you are leaving the right amount of clearance between your TV and your wood-burning fireplace.
What Tools Do You Need to Mount a TV Over a Fireplace?
Having the right tools on hand is essential to successfully mount your TV above your fireplace. The tools that you need to do the job right include:
- A level
- A tape measure
- Painter’s tape
- Concrete screws/washers
- Concrete anchors/lag bolts
- A drill that includes a hammer function
- A socket adapter/rubber mallet/ratchet
- A concrete drill bit
Measure for Seating with TV Wall Mount
You must determine whether the room your fireplace is located in is large enough to accommodate a seating arrangement based around a TV that is mounted above your mantle. Generally speaking, the most comfortable viewing setup will have your seating positioned around 15 feet from your television when it is mounted on the wall.
Once you get into the 8 to 10-foot range, issues with eye strain start to happen. Neck strain is a problem when the TV is less than 8 feet from your seating. These are factors that you will want to carefully consider when deciding whether or not you have enough space to effectively mount your TV above your fireplace.
THE BEST WAY TO MOUNT TV OVER A FIREPLACE WHEN THE MANTEL IS TALL
The height of our home’s fireplace mantel can end up interfering with your ability to mount your TV in the way that you want to. If you have a tall mantel, then it may be necessary to mount the TV on a higher spot on the wall to ensure that proper clearance is maintained. At the same time, you want to make sure that this will not lead to you having to mount the TV so high that it affects your ability to enjoy it. If it becomes necessary to mount the TV awkwardly high above your fireplace, then it could be worth considering a different option altogether.
What to Do If You Can’t Mount a Television Over Your Fireplace
If you have determined that mounting your TV over your fireplace is not a practical choice, there are several options you can go with. You could choose to mount your TV on another open spot on your wall. You could even consider mounting it in a corner. Beyond this, there is always the tried and true option of simply getting a nice stand for your TV.
You must remember that a TV that has been improperly mounted over a fireplace represents a significant safety issue. When a TV has not been properly installed, it becomes a hazard to fall and injure anyone who is nearby at the time. Given this fact, it is always recommended that you avail of the services of trusted fireplace professionals if you are unsure about the mounting process.
Drawbacks of watching a TV above the fireplace
The main drawback to note when it comes to mounting a TV above a fireplace is the fact that it does not always provide an optimal viewing experience when you are seated. Constantly looking upward toward a wall-mounted TV can end up straining both your eyes and your neck.
To learn more about the process of mounting your TV above your fireplace or to get the answers to any concerns that you might have about doing so, reach out to our team here at Fireplace Concepts Inc. We are the leading fireplace experts that homeowners here in the Lexington, Kentucky region rely on for all of their service needs!